Chul Pak is a partner in Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati's antitrust practice, where he focuses on antitrust litigation, mergers, and counseling. Chul defends clients in class actions, individual lawsuits, and complex multi-district antitrust litigations across the United States. His litigation matters include representing manufacturers, services companies, and technology firms in monopolization, tying, exclusive dealing, price-fixing, patent misuse, and conspiracy claims. Chul also counsels companies in mergers and non-merger investigations before the Federal Trade Commission, the Department of Justice, and numerous state attorneys general.
Prior to joining the firm, Chul served as the assistant director of the Mergers IV Division at the Federal Trade Commission. In that role, Chul supervised a 25-attorney team responsible for investigating mergers and acquisitions across a wide spectrum of industries, including consumer goods (food and beverages), retail stores (supermarkets, department stores, and other retail venues), cable and related media entertainment, and hospitals. Chul also represented the FTC in numerous high-profile trials in federal court and the FTC's internal administrative adjudication tribunal.SELECT TRIAL EXPERIENCE:
- In re Flash Memory Products Litigation: Defended technology company against antitrust and patent misuse claims brought by competitors accused of patent infringement.
- In the Matter of Evanston Northwestern Healthcare: Trial counsel for FTC in the first successful challenge of a hospital merger by a government agency since the 1980s.
- In the Matter of Chicago Bridge & Iron: Trial counsel for FTC in challenge of consummated merger of industrial storage tank manufacturers.
- FTC v. Libbey: Trial counsel for FTC in preliminary injunction trial to block merger of glassware manufacturers.
- FTC v. Swedish Match: Trial counsel for FTC in preliminary injunction trial to block merger of chewing tobacco manufacturers.
- In the Matter of VISX: Trial counsel for FTC in challenge to enforceability of laser eye surgery patent because of fraud on the Patent and Trademark Office.
- J.D., New York University School of Law
- B.A., Swarthmore College
- Member, Executive Committee, Section of Antitrust Law, New York State Bar Association
- Member, Board of Directors, Korean-American Lawyers Association of Greater New York
- Member, Board of Directors, WSGR Foundation
- Named among New York's top antitrust attorneys in the 2014 and 2015 editions of Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business
- Co-author of "United States Private Litigation" chapter, The Private Competition Enforcement Review, Seventh Edition, Law Business Research, 2014
- Co-author with R. Corp, "Practical Lessons Learned from United States v. Bazaarvoice," The Threshold, August 13, 2014
- Co-author with R. Corp, "Sensible Discovery: Effective Strategies to Streamline the Discovery Process and Save Clients' Money," CPI Antitrust Chronicle, Competition Policy International, May 2013
- Co-author with T. Lee, "Key Merger Enforcement Lessons from H&R Block and AT&T," The Antitrust Counselor, March 2012
- Moderator, "United States v. American Express - Payment Card Litigation Transforms an Industry," ABA Antitrust Section, June 3, 2015
- "Tackling Labor & Employment Issues in Professional Sports and Beyond," AABANY Fall Conference, September 20, 2014
- Moderator, "Hospital Merger Enforcement—It's Complicated!" ABA Antitrust Section, December 7, 2012
- "United States v. AT&T: Tips for Antitrust Lawyers and Litigators," ABA Antitrust Section, January 2012
- "From Mediterranean Avenue to Boardwalk: Unilateral Conduct Revisited," Antitrust Section of the New York State Bar Association, January 2011
- "Pleading Standards for Section 1 Violations," ABA Antitrust Section, December 2010
- "Strategies for Litigating a Merger," ABA Antitrust Section, June 2010
- "Antitrust Litigation Masters Program," American Conference Institute, February 2010
- "Joint Ventures in the New Antitrust Regime," Practising Law Institute, February 2010
- "Effective Economic Analyses for the New DOJ and FTC," Cornerstone Research, October 2009
- "Hospital Mergers and Antitrust," Academy Health, June 2009
- "Antitrust Risks and Strategies in Retail Mergers," Sagent Advisors Conference, June 2009
- "Health Plans and Anticompetitive Hospital Mergers," AHIP, February 2009
- "Assessing Recent FTC Merger Litigation: One Win, One Loss, and One Tie," The Federalist Society, June 2008
- "Hospital Mergers and Litigation," Healthcare Dealmaking Symposium sponsored by The Deal, April 2008
- State Bar of New York